Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Elementary My Dear Bumper Sticker



Tonight I was driving to church when I saw a car with a group of bumper stickers.  I love trying to figure out what someone is telling me about themselves through bumper stickers.  It’s like Sherlock Holmes sizing someone up in 30 seconds or less.

This one had a newer version of the old Coexist bumper sticker – you know – the one with various religious symbols used to spell out the word?  This version uses the word Teach with a peace symbol at the end.  The point remains the same: religious people need to get along.  While my suspicion is that a person with such a sticker is either (a) a hopeless utopian or (b) more presumptuous than any religious person, it’s difficult to decide.  This car, however, careened into (b) with verve, based on one of its other bumper stickers:

The car had a Christian fish with legs with Darwin written inside the fish.

Irony, anyone?

So, let me get this straight, Teach peace bumper sticker person: as a Christian I need to coexist with others, which, most likely in your mind means I keep my mouth shut about my beliefs, then, you bash my beliefs on the very same bumper with your ultra-funny (and extremely oh so original) fishlegs Darwin sticker?  Do you not see the absolute, hypocritical inconsistency in such a proclamation? 

Over the years I have tried to engage atheists on-line through various websites.  One of the constant refrains I get is that atheists are the rational and logical ones, who are only interested in following reason and evidence.  Yet, fishlegs sticker obviously doesn’t care about logical or rational consistency.  Essentially what fishlegs is telling anyone who cares to review her stickers is do as I say, not as I do, which is completely at odds with her alleged belief in people coexisting.  I can bash Christians because (I guess she’s saying) they’re stupid. 

I can come to other reasoned conclusions about fishlegs, as well.  She does not go to church anywhere.  She almost certainly has only a rudimentary knowledge of Christianity and probably doesn’t actually know any real Christians.  Very likely she hasn’t been on the waterfront in downtown Louisville, Kentucky on Sundays at 8:00 AM to see all those nasty, non-coexisting, creation believing Christians engaged in the utter villainy of, dare I speak it, feeding the homeless (SHHHHHHHH).  No doubt fishlegs missed out on all the many occasions when Christians have done nice things for others with no thought for themselves and no expectation of acknowledgement or return.  Oh, yeah, then there’s the Southern Baptist Convention’s disaster relief arm (which is routinely asked, yes asked, by governments to come in and help at disaster sites).  No coexistence there – nothing to see – just move on.  Let’s not forget that many Christians go to work, teach at schools, raise children, and pay their taxes, all without creating a fuss or causing anyone any problems for anyone.  I sort of think that is coexisting . . . I think.

So, channeling my inner Sherlock Holmes, I must conclude that fishlegs thinks Christians are numbskulls who need the help of the more enlightened, which, of course, means her and her friends.  Now you might suggest that fishlegs isn’t specifically targeting Christians, because, after all the coexist bumper sticker also uses pagan symbols.  Perhaps, but then where is the Wicca symbol with a Bunsen burner inside it, for instance?  No, fishlegs is pointedly smirking at Christians.

Finally, fishlegs thinks that she’s actually helping the world.  She’s making a statement.  She’s proclaiming something that needs to be said.  The beauty of it, she doesn’t have to ever defend herself intellectually because it’s all on her car, with no way for anyone to rebut her.  As a result, that tells me it’s likely fishlegs probably isn’t nearly as confident in her beliefs as her bumper stickers suggest.  Most people won’t confront someone about their bumper stickers because (a) it’s impossible while you’re in your car (b) it would be stalking to follow fishlegs home (c) when you see the car parked in a lot somewhere, it’s a rare chance that fishlegs happens to be there with the car.  So fishlegs gets to be an inconsistent hypocrite without having to defend her so-called enlightened thinking.  Yes, she’ll mouth off with her friends but she wouldn’t dare actually engage a Christian in any sort of discussion one on one; that might mean she’d actually have to coexist.  We can’t have that now, can we?

Of course, I could have it all wrong.  I’m not Sherlock Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment