Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Jesus, Roller Coasters, Bumper Cars and Abiding



            Once in a while preaching actually pierces into my thick, addle-pated, clod-filled brain and works its way from there into the dark recesses of my heart.  Today, March 4, 2014, chapel at Southern Seminary was one of those moments.

            The preacher, Vance Pittman, from Las Vegas by way of northern Alabama, was new to me.  His name meant nothing to me.  I have never seen him before, heard him before, or heard of him before.  This is part of the absolute beauty and thrill of the message he preached.  His name, his reputation, his background, his story, brought no expectation.  As a result, I was free to see and hear Jesus preached directly, succinctly, and persuasively because He was, in fact, talking in that moment.

            You see, as a lawyer who has seen and delivered many opening and closing statements and arguments, I know good delivery when I see it and hear it.  Pastor Pittman delivered excellently.  But he wasn’t eloquent in the way most people would define eloquence.  No, he talked of an old agricultural metaphor Jesus used to explain to his disciples, and by extension, to us, how we are to live in order to bear fruit.  Jesus the vine, the rest of us as branches.  I listened, shocked and dismayed.  Shouldn’t I be doing all kinds of stuff in order to bear fruit?  What about my efforts, my plans, my . . . yeah, my plans, not His plans.  Pittman, not knowing the callousness of my heart, stabbed at it again, and again, and again with one simple word: abide.

           So it turns out the Christian life is much more like a roller coaster than the bumper cars.  I get to strap in and hold on while Jesus provides the power, the seat, the safety harness and the rails.  I can’t avoid the twists and turns, but I can abide – I can be there in a position to enjoy the ride.  I don’t have to drive myself; I don’t have to try to avoid others bumping into me; I don’t have to watch my back.  Best of all, I get to enjoy how every moment of that ride brings glory to God.  In the peaks and valleys, I get to abide.

            You know, oddly enough, some people ride the bumper cars so they can avoid getting hit!  There’s no abiding in that place.  It’s dull, boring, uninspiring.  Yes, you are in control of the ride, but there is no thrill, no joy, no glory.  Even those who do bump into each other still constantly worry about who is coming from what direction and whether they will or will not get struck.  Mostly, it’s a ride designed for us to try to control our situation completely – and the reality is we never do.  We either join in the mess in the middle and get bounced around, often by strangers, or we ride on the perimeter and don’t really get the true experience.  Either way, control remains illusory and unsatisfying.

            So I find Jesus telling me to abide – to hang on to him as if . . . no, wait . . . because my life depends on it.  I hear Jesus say "if you love me, you’ll obey my commandments" and see from a blindingly clear perspective it is not a demand for obedience because I love Him.  Rather, it’s like Jesus saying “shucks, if you love me, obedience will come along for the ride.”  In light of this, suddenly the admonition that his yoke is easy and his burden light makes sense.  Who wouldn’t want to love a guy who died in their place but who makes it so accessible?  Fortunately, there is no line to wait in, no sweaty teenager checking your seatbelt, and, best of all, there is love enough for everyone who gets on.

            Thanks, Vance Pittman.  Not because of you, but because of who spoke through you.  Thanks for abiding so you could speak those words today to help me abide.

No comments:

Post a Comment